Chief Financial Officer
Functioning as a member of the school’s senior management team, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for directing the fiscal functions of Bellarmine Preparatory School in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the industry. The CFO is accountable for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the school. This includes advising on development of sound financial and operational strategies, leading financial and business processes, including developing realistic operating budgets (up to $17M), 5-year financial plan, and modeling and forecasting operating results. In addition, the CFO develops financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements, identifying monetary resources, and developing action plans, then monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances. The CFO provides technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage auditing and regulatory reporting functions to ensure compliance and timely and accurate presentations.
• Design and monitor reliable internal control systems.
• Maintain appropriate insurance coverage.
• Ensure that the school complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
• Report financial results to Bellarmine’s Board of Directors.
• Oversee accurate financial statement preparation and reporting, including month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closes, annual budgets, and ongoing financial forecasting.
• Assist in formulating the school's future direction by developing accurate forecasting.
• Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team and advise optimal financial strategies.
• Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans.
• Develop financial strategies.
• Manage the accounting, human resources, legal, tax, and treasury functions.
• Oversee the school’s transaction processing systems to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
• Implement process improvements in financial, administrative, and business processes.
• Oversee employee benefit plans, with particular emphasis on maximizing a cost-effective benefits package and sound fiscal management of Bellarmine’s 403 (b) program and Pension Plan.
• Negotiate contracts related to business processes and oversee any selected third-party vendors.
• Manage the budgeting processes.
• Manage the independent annual audits for the school’s financial results/position, endowment and retirement plan.
• Maintains a tuition assistance program (working closely with the Student Accounts Managers and Admissions Committee) that provides a consistent, timely, and fair process of applications, reviews, and awards. Annual tuition assistance program is $2.2M.
• Manage, train, supervise and evaluate four staff members of the school business office.
• Ten years plus of senior management financial accounting experience.
• BA in accounting; Current CPA license, ideally, and/or Masters of Accounting.
• Superior interpersonal skills to handle various stakeholder groups.
• Strong business management experience and skills.
• Prior management experience with HR.
• Strong background in accounting; knowledge of fund accounting and endowments highly desirable.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working in education and/or non-profit organizations is preferred.
• Must be innovative, resourceful, collaborative, and helpful in facilitating the financial management of the school.
• Promote a culture of accountability, integrity and teamwork.
• Be responsive and service-oriented relative to the financial needs of all customers (faculty/staff/administration/families).
• A solid track record of success in reaching financial goals through solid revenue and expense planning and program administration.
• Experience in strategic planning and related execution of plan.
• Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and analytics is required.
• Must have a great attitude and be a team player.
Benefits and Compensation:
Bellarmine Preparatory School offers a competitive compensation and benefit package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Position open until filled
Please submit your completed Bellarmine application, cover letter and resume to:
Diana Martin, Assistant to the President
Bellarmine Preparatory School
2300 S. Washington
Tacoma, WA 98405
Diana Martin, Assistant to the President