Faith in Formation
Juniors and seniors are selected through an application process (see 2016-17 Faith in Formation Team Application) and are trained to assist and serve in the Campus Ministry Faith in Formation program within the structure of the Community Period. At least two juniors are assigned to one freshman homeroom and one senior to each sophomore homeroom. The juniors mentor the students in freshmen homerooms and seniors mentor in the sophomore homerooms.
Over the course of the school year and within the timeframe of the Community Period, the juniors and seniors minister in the Faith in Formation curriculum seven times with the sophomores and eight times with the freshmen. Each underclass program concludes with a celebration of the Mass, the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
Junior and senior mentors also help to plan, assist and lead freshman orientation, all-day freshman retreat, freshman "night out," sophomore "night out," and the two sophomore overnight retreats.
- Provide opportunities for students to explore their faith and experience the witness of faculty and junior/senior leaders
- Create an inclusive and more Christ-like environment on campus
- Create a community where faith is valued and lived out
- Build relationships between Faith in Formation leaders and the freshmen/sophomores they serve by focusing on the theme for freshman year (My Place in this World) and the sophomore year (Call to be Saints) throughout the year
- Mentor students through discussion/activities
- Provide leadership opportunities for juniors and seniors
- Provide faith enrichment through prayer, Ignatian Spirituality and the celebration of the Sacraments for student leaders
- Increase intentionally our curriculum planning by using the Jesuit document - The Grad at Graduation
- Build relationships between student leaders and faculty advisors
Program Addresses Current Issues and Challenges
At Bellarmine, we proclaim, through our mission statement, that we want our students to be leaders in action, ready to transform the world through their devotion to Jesus Christ and the Church. In the culture of the 21st century, we know this is a difficult charge for any young adult. Faith in Formation is a vital program where every student's faith is challenged, encouraged and applauded. We would like our students to have the ability to be counter-cultural in our world. It is our hope that we equip them with the tools and the faith to live out the mission of Christ in the world.
Faith in Formation is a program that enhances every dimension of Bellarmine. When we change the culture of a school with students who are empowered to lead, particularly through their devotion to Christ in community, others are encouraged and challenged as well to a life committed to Jesus Christ, the Church and the service of others.
For more information, contact Shannon Casey.