February Technology 2017
The Apple Store in Santa Monica, California.
Bellarmine will accept orders between March 1 and April 30 each year. All orders are billed on tuition statements.
Models available include...
|iPad Pro 10.5-inch (256 GB)
Our Price: $724 + tax*
*The total price charged by Bellarmine before tax is $823. This price includes 3 yr of AppleCare+ insurance at $99. State sales tax at Bellarmine is currently 10.1%.
Choosing the right iPad can be a time consuming task. The following considerations, expressed in a questions-answer format, are designed to help speed things up for you. They are written around the assumption that you want your iPad to work well in Bellarmine's One-To-One program.
Question: Should I buy our iPad through Bellarmine?
Answer: Buying through Bellarmine is convenient and cost effective, but it's not the only way to go. You can click here for more details. You can buy directly from the Apple Store or from your mobile phone provider. You can also buy a used iPad (i.e. see Amazon.com, eBay, or Gazelle.com). Some families already have iPads in the home that can be configured for effective school use.
Question: Which iPad model is best?
Answer: Most of the iPad models will work. Avoid the iPad 1 and iPad 2 for school use. The iPad 1 and 2 do not support the software we are using. They do not have enough storage capacity to handle digital books, apps and the space needed for storing student work. The Apple web site has iPad comparisons for newer models that you can reference. You can dive more deeply into iPad specifications on other websites too, if you like.
Question: What storage capacity is recommended?
Answer: A capacity of 64 GB is enough to support a typical Bellarmine student who will run iOS 10, load most of the school apps, store digital books and store digital assignments. If you need an iPad for 1-2 years at Bellarmine, 64 GB will have room to spare. If you are expecting your iPad to last 3 or 4 years, then I recommend the 128-256 GB models. These larger storage capacities will also work better for the student who works frequently with music, photos or video.
Question: Should we get an iPad with a mobile phone data plan?
Answer: Bellarmine Preparatory has an extensive Wi-Fi network on campus. If you also have Wi-Fi at home, that will cover the needs of most students. So, most students probably don't need a mobile phone data plan. There are exceptions. If your son or daughter like to do homework during a long daily commute, then having a data plan is helpful. The same idea applies to our musicians and athletes because a data plan is helpful for studying on the road. The last benefit I would mention is that iPads with data plans are a little easier to find when lost or stolen. If you plan to get an iPad with a data plan, I recommend you first consult your mobile phone service provider (e.g. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint or ATT). Also keep in mind that a student's mobile phone can be used to manage a great deal of school work. Many mobile phones can be used as a hot-spot, provide the iPad with a connection when students are away from school or home.
Question: Should we buy an iPad with a 12.9-inch screen, 10.5-inch screen or 7.9-inch screen?
Answer: The 12.9-inch is the size of a small laptop. The 10.5-inch screen is a mid-sized tablet, while the 7.9-inch (mini) is sized somewhere between a phone and a tablet. The iPad Mini requires sharp eyesight. It's light weight design is ideal for reading digital texts, minimizing arm and hand fatigue. The Mini is great for managing email or a calendar. The Mini is also well suited for delivering presentations, web conferencing, photography and video recording. If a good portion or your iPad usage will include word processing, photo or video editing, note taking, diagramming, drawing, or work with spreadsheets, then the 10.5-inch is a better choice. The 12.9-inch screen is nice, but it adds more expense and bulk. It's a cross-over device, functioning both as a tablet and a laptop with a touch-screen and mobile operating system. Currently at Bellarmine, only 4% of our students use iPad Mini's, while the remaining 96% use the 10.5-inch tablet. We have only seen a couple of the 12.9-inch screens in use.
An iPad is a significant investment Bellarmine is asking our families to make. Our One-To-One program has been structured to make the iPad investment as affordable as possible. The following list summarizes our affordability measures.
- Educational Discounts: If you buy your iPad from Bellarmine, we will pass our school's $25 savings to your family.
- Payment Plans: Your iPad purchase is added to your tuition statement. You can pay the school all at once, over 12 monthly payments or over 24 monthly payments - interest free.
- Flexible Range of Devices: Bellarmine can support the full range of iPads models, with the exception of the iPad 1 & 2.
- Software Volume Purchases: Bellarmine buys the licenses for all the school required apps and loans them to students electronically.
- On Premise Support: Responsive tech staff provide drop-in support in the Technology Support Center every school day from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
- Loaner Program: Was your iPad lost or stolen? Bellarmine can loan you an iPad while you sort out the problem.
- Affordable Insurance: AppleCare insurance covers support from Apple and will replace your iPad twice over a three year period for a $50 deductible each time.
- Device Management: Bellarmine registers every device on it's network and can pinpoint the building in which an iPad has been misplaced. This system also automates the configuration of our 1000 iPads, so no waiting in lines. Configuration changes are processed quickly. As a school, we emphasize good personal management of iPads by our students.
- Financial Aid: If your family receives financial aid, and the cost of the iPad is a financial challenge, please check with our business office for additional options.