Buying An iPad
The Apple Store in Santa Monica, California.
Bellarmine will accept orders starting March 4, 2021. Orders will be placed in July. All orders are billed on tuition statements.
This year's model is an...
| iPad 10.2-inch (128 GB)
Total Cost: $539.10
*To calculate your total cost, add the cost of the device and the insurance. Then, calculate sales tax. State and local sales taxes combined in for Bellarmine's is 10.2%. Prices are set by Apple® Inc. and are subject to change. Local tax rates are subject to change.
Choosing the right iPad can be a time consuming task. The following considerations, expressed in a questions-answer format, are designed to help speed things up for you. They are written around the assumption that you want your iPad to work well in Bellarmine's One-To-One program.
Question: Should I buy our iPad through Bellarmine?
Answer: Bellarmine offers an economy iPad that is chosen to be both cost effective and capable of serving a student's needs for their 4 year career with us. You are welcome to buy your iPad elsewhere, and most iPad models will work in our environment. All iPads will need to be brought to the Digital Services Department to be securely wiped and configured for managed school use.
Question: Which iPad model is best?
Answer: Most of the iPad models will work. If you are considering an older iPad, find out if it can run iOS 14. It's also good to have at least 64 GB of storage on the device for apps, digital books, and other locally stored digital media. The Apple web site has iPad comparisons for newer models that you can reference. You can dive more deeply into iPad specifications on other websites too, if you like.
Question: What storage capacity is recommended?
Answer: A capacity of 64 GB is enough to support a typical Bellarmine student who will run the latest iOS, load most of the school apps, store digital books and store digital assignments. If iPad storage is managed properly, 64-128 GB will give room to spare for all 4 years at Bellarmine. We only recommend the 256-512 GB models for the student who work frequently with music, photos or video.
Question: Should we get an iPad with a mobile data plan?
Answer: Bellarmine Preparatory has an extensive Wi-Fi network on campus. If you also have Wi-Fi at home, that will cover the needs of most students. So, most students probably don't need a mobile data plan. There are exceptions. If your son or daughter likes to do homework during a long daily commute, then having a data plan is helpful. The same idea applies to our musicians and athletes because a data plan is helpful for studying on the road. The last benefit we would mention is that iPads with data plans are a little easier to find when lost or stolen. If you plan to get an iPad with a mobile data plan, we recommend you first consult your mobile phone service provider (e.g. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint or ATT). Also keep in mind that a student's mobile phone can be used to manage a great deal of school work. Many mobile phones can be used as a hot-spot, provide the iPad with a connection when students are away from school or home.
Question: Should we buy an iPad with a 12.9-inch screen, 11-inch screen, 10.9-inch screen, a 10.2-inch screen or 7.9-inch screen?
Answer: The 12.9-inch is the size of a small laptop. Paired with a keyboard, it works well for word processing and media creation. Web pages and videos look great. Reading is enhanced by the larger size for students with eye-sight corrections. The size is a bit more bulky to carry and it might cause hand or arm fatigue when holding the iPad during reading. Using a sturdy case is essential.
The 10.2 to 11-inch screens are mid-sized tablets. It's medium size works well for a variety of functions making it a flexible, multipurpose choice. These sizes are currently the most popular with our students, accounting for approximately 95% of the iPads in our system.
The 7.9-inch (mini) is sized somewhere between a phone and a tablet. Although this device is can be used in the classroom, it is generally too small and not recommended.
An iPad is a significant investment Bellarmine is asking our families to make. Our One-To-One program has been structured to make the iPad investment as affordable as possible. The following list summarizes our affordability measures.
- Payment Plans: Your iPad purchase is added to your tuition statement. You can pay the school all at once, over 12 monthly payments or over 24 monthly payments - interest free.
- Flexible Range of Devices: Bellarmine only sells one iPad model. However, Bellarmine can support a wide range of iPads models on our network.
- Software Volume Purchases: Bellarmine buys the licenses for all the school required apps and loans them to students electronically.
- On Premise Support: Responsive tech staff provide drop-in support in the Academic Commons every school day from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
- Loaner Program: Was your iPad lost or stolen? Bellarmine can loan you an iPad while you sort out the problem.
- Affordable Insurance: When purchased through Bellarmine, AppleCare insurance covers support from Apple. It can be used to replace your iPad twice over a three year period for a $50 deductible each time. Theft or loss is not covered.
- Device Management: Bellarmine can usually pinpoint the room where a managed iPad has been misplaced. Our management system, JAMF, also automates the configuration of our 1000 iPads. Configuration changes are processed quickly across WiFi connections. As a school, we emphasize good personal management of iPads by our students.