Please read this important message from Principal Davis.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Fall is such a beautiful season, the vibrant colors and the spectacular changes in Mt. Rainer remind us of the pending move to winter. It is a time of year when we turn to indoor activities, for the most part, and the days are shorter. This season is also a time when we witness students finding their way on campus and becoming more confident. The physical changes in our environment as well as the end of the fall sports season, first grading period and the play all signal we are moving toward winter.
This past weekend our school play presented Peter and the StarCatcher, a wonderful play with so many of our students participating. Our sports teams are wrapping up their seasons, please check out our website for updates. Also, please note we will provide an opportunity this week for you to meet with your student(s) teachers to discuss academic progress. It is important to connect with faculty before moving into the holidays. The next couple of months are filled with the anticipation of Advent and holiday preparation. Before we know it, it will be January and we will be preparing for a new semester. The days go by quickly so let’s enjoy every special moment together.
The following information is intended to support your planning and to provide important updates so you can remain informed. If you have questions or need more detail please contact us. (see our website for a full list of email addresses).
November 14: First Day of Winter Sports
November 15: Early Dismissal (12:42), Parent-Teacher conferences 1:30-3:30
November 16: Parent-Teacher conferences 6:30-8:30
November 18: No School, Employee Retreat
November 21: Experience Bellarmine Day
November 22: Thanksgiving Prayer Service
November 23-25: No School, Thanksgiving Holiday
November 30: Experience Bellarmine Day
December 1: President's Evening of Thanks 6:00-8:00 p.m.
December 5: Next Parent/Guardian Letter
- We continue to see a very low number of cases within our employee and student populations. Thank you for taking the necessary precautions by following the guidelines for isolation. Please review the guidelines here:
- As you may already know, there is a surge of respiratory viruses in Pierce County. Please take a look at the information from Tacoma Pierce County Health Department
Parents are encouraged to utilize the communication tools of Blackbaud to stay current
with student course expectations and progress. In addition to Blackbaud, families are
offered a personalized model of additional communication at Parent-Teacher Conferences.
This is an opportunity to meet with teachers to discuss academic, behavioral, and
emotional progress of their student(s). Bellarmine has two fall opportunities:
- Tuesday, November 15th, 1:30 pm – 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 16th, 6:30 pm-8:30 p.m.
And one spring opportunity:
- Tuesday, April 18th, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Both the afternoon and evening conferences are designed in arena format. We ask that
teachers and parents limit this time to five minutes for a brief conversation and academic
update, and that parents prioritize their list of teachers to visit. If you need a longer
conversation, please email or call to schedule that conference.
CAMPUS MINISTRY - Thanksgiving Prayer Service
On Tuesday, November 22 we will join together as a community and pray in Thanksgiving to our Lord. It is a special service as we often hear reflections from members of our community on what Thanksgiving means to them.
- Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, and Wrestling begin on Nov.14.
- Please check the status of your child’s physical. Email Kristine Zelazny firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
SAFETY AND SECURITY
- This past month we focused on our response to severe storms. We ran a test of our School Messenger system. We contacted you using the number you provided at the time of registration. If you have questions about your contact information please reach out to our Registrar, Melinda Michaelson, at email@example.com. If you have questions about School Messenger please contact Aaron Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Last week we learned of a school shooting at Ingraham High School in Seattle. This reminds us of the importance of a strong school safety plan. We continue to work with our team of experts who are guiding us in the full implementation of a safety-security plan. It is important for all to know, we have a plan for an intruder and we will run our drill in January.
Fall is a season to share our appreciation. Last week we joined together as a school community to honor our Veterans. Our president, Rob Modarelli, who is a veteran himself, shared a beautiful message about service. Our Veteran’s Day assembly provided us time to listen and reflect on what service means to us. Our students are encouraged throughout their time at Bellarmine to consider serving others with a generous heart and an open mind. Thank you parents and guardians for supporting your children as they animate one of the Jesuit values, to be men and women with and for others.
Thanksgiving is another holiday focused on gratitude. As we prepare for Thanksgiving it is important to take a moment and reflect on those people and things we are most grateful for. I am grateful for our community. Thank you parents and guardians for your love, support and willingness to walk with us in the formation of your children, our students.
Take Care and God Bless,